CHICAGO – The lawyers of a white Chicago policeman accused of murder in 2014, fatal shooting of the black teenager Laquan McDonald announced on Friday that they will remain with selected jurors in the last days for the trial rather than having a judge who decides
Judge Vincent Gaughan had set a Friday deadline for Jason Van Dyke to say if he wanted to go on to a bench trial in which the judge would decide the fate of the officer. Opening statements are scheduled for Monday, although the judge has yet to decide a defense request to move the trial outside of Cook County, where Chicago is located.
The court examined and selected 12 jurors and five substitutes during the last week  The video shows Van Dyke firing at McDonald 16 times while the teenager seems to move away from the police with a knife in his hand. It will be one of the centerpieces of the process.
The selection of the jury ended much more quickly than expected, with a demand for perspectives that required only three days. The jury of 12 people consists of seven white, three Hispanic, one African-American and one Asian-American. The lawyers also chose five substitutes.
Most of the future jurors said they saw the police video of the shooting. Some jurors who were excused said they could not be impartial after what they saw in the video.
The release of the video in November 2015 provoked great protests, the ouster of the police superintendent and police reform requests.
Those who were chosen for the commission also expressed concern, with the last male juror who said that he thought the officer was "gone too far" when he shot the seventeen year old.