Twenty people were killed in two mosque shootings in central Christchurch, New Zealand, on Friday, in what Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern called "a terrorist attack".
• Officials said four people were in custody, and a number of explosive devices were found attached to the vehicles they had stopped.
• A Muslim leader in New Zealand said the attack was particularly shocking as it took place during the Friday midday prayers. Police have urged mosques nationwide to "close their doors" and urged people to stay away from mosques until further notice.
Two mosques were attacked
The blasts were fired at the Al Noor mosque on Deans Avenue near Hagley Park in the city center, and at the Linwood Mosque, about three miles away, police said.  Miss. Ardern said in a press conference that 30 people were killed in the Al Noor mosque and that another 10 people died in the Linwood mosque.
David Meates, president of the health council of the Canterbury district, said that 48 people were treated for a shot wounded at the Christchurch hospital, and that other gunshot wounds were being treated in other health facilities in the city.
The police said that four people, including three men and a woman, had been taken into custody. Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison said one of them was an Australian.
Ms. Ardern described those arrested as a headmaster, two associates and a person not directly related to the attacks. He said none of them was on the security observer lists.
Ms. Ardern, describing the shootings as a "well-planned" terrorist attack, said the country's national security threat had been raised from low to high.
"It's safer to be able to assure people of their safety", she
The country's police commissioner, Mike Bush, urged people not to go to the mosque anywhere in New Zealand on Friday 19659002 He also called on mosques to shut down their doors nationally, urging them to "close the doors until you hear
Calling the situation" very serious and serious ", Bush said the police were mobilizing all national forces .
– CHARLOTTE GRAHAM-McLAY and MEGAN SPECIA  The video seems to show part of the shots
A 17-minute video published on social media seems to show part of the attack. La clip, which may have been taken by a helmeted camera worn by an armed man, starts behind the wheel of a car, a man whose face can occasionally be seen in the rear-view mirror crosses the streets of Christchurch prim and to stop in front of the Canterbury Muslim Association and its adjacent mosque on Dean Avenue, next to the vast Hagley Park. He approaches the façade of the mosque on foot, his weapon visible, and starts shooting at people at the entrance. What follows is a heartbreaking almost two minutes of his shot at the faithful.
A 17-minute video published on social media seems to show part of the attack.
La clip, which may have been taken by a helmeted camera worn by an armed man, starts behind the wheel of a car, a man whose face can occasionally be seen in the rear-view mirror crosses the streets of Christchurch prim and to stop in front of the Canterbury Muslim Association and its adjacent mosque on Dean Avenue, next to the vast Hagley Park.
He approaches the façade of the mosque on foot, his weapon visible, and starts shooting at people at the entrance. What follows is a heartbreaking almost two minutes of his shot at the faithful.
At one point, the gunman exits the mosque and shoots in both directions along the sidewalk before returning to his car for another gun – which, like the others, was inscribed with numbers, symbols or messages . When he returns to the mosque, he shoots several corpses at close range.
After a few minutes, he returns to his vehicle and escapes.
"There was not even time to aim, there were so many targets," he says at one point, while the sirens of an emergency response vehicle ring in the background.
– MEGAN SPECIA and JASON BAILEY
A white nationalist manifesto
Before the shooting, someone appeared to be the publicly armed man who published links to a white nationalist manifesto on Twitter and the forum online 8chan. 8chan's post included a link to what appeared to be the bandit's Facebook page, in which he said he would also broadcast live video of the attack.
Twitter posts showed the weapons covered by the names of military generals and past men who recently carried out mass shootings.
In his manifesto, he identified himself as a 28-year-old man born in Australia and listed his white nationalist heroes.
He described what he said to have motivated him to carry out the attack, and he said he purposely used guns to provoke discord in the United States on the provision of the Second Amendment on the right to bear arms.
He also declared himself a fascist. "For once, the person who will be called a fascist, is a true fascist," he wrote in the manifesto, adding that China's "political and social values" were closer to his own.
– DANIEL VICTOR and TIFFANY MAY
The YouTube star "got sick" quoting on video
Felix Kjellberg, a polarizing Youtube celebrity known as PewDiePie, distanced himself from attacks after that the man who shot the victims in a mosque encouraged viewers to "join PewDiePie" in a streaming video.
"I feel utterly disgusted by the fact that my name was uttered by this person," Mr. Kjellberg, a Swede, said on Twitter . "My heart and my thoughts go to the victims, to the families and to all those affected by this tragedy."
Mr. Kjellberg has courted controversy by performing anti-Semitic gestures, which he calls satirical, in his videos. It has a following of 89 million subscribers, including alt-right and white supremacy accounts.
– TIFFANY MAY
Social media post scrutiny
In the past 18 months, technology companies have promised to put in stricter security measures to ensure that violent content is not distributed through their sites, especially during the last events.
But those new protections were not enough to stop the publication of a video and a poster that was thought to be related to filming on various social media channels on Friday.
A 17-minute video that apparently included graphic footage of footage could be found on Facebook, YouTube, Twitter and Instagram more than an hour after it was published. While both Facebook and Twitter threw down pages that were thought to be linked to a hitman in the attack, the content that had been published on them was already spreading rapidly through other accounts.
Dozens of versions of the video could be found through a quick search for words and names linked to a suspected bandit.
The country's police commissioner, Mike Bush, said that social media posts "should not be in the public domain".
In order to evade detection, people seemed to crop video or publish the text of the poster as an image – both techniques used to circumvent the automated systems implemented by social media channels to automatically find and delete the content.
Social media companies rely on artificial intelligence to find and automatically remove prohibited content. Companies have heavily invested in these systems, with Facebook reporting last year that over 99% of the terrorist content of the Islamic State and Al Qaeda was found and removed through artificial intelligence .
A Facebook spokeswoman offered condolences to the victims and said the company was working to stop the spread of any content in support of the attack.
"The police notified us of a video on Facebook shortly after the live stream began and we quickly removed both the Facebook and Instagram accounts of the shooter and the video," said Mia Garlick of Facebook New Zealand.
He added that the company was "eliminating any praise or support for crime and shooters or shooters as soon as we are aware of them."
– SHEERA FRENKEL and DANIEL VICTOR
An attack during Friday prayers
Moustafa Farouk, spokesman for the Federation of Islamic Associations of New Zealand, said it was particularly shocking to Muslims that the attack took place during Friday noon prayers.
"Its Friday, when we normally gather for our prayers, so no one ever thought it would happen," Mr. Farouk said in a telephone interview.
Mr. Farouk, who said he was going to Christchurch to meet with Muslims there, said he never imagined that such an attack could happen in New Zealand, which he described as a "good reputation" country.
"It is one of the most peaceful countries in the world," he added, although he said that "this type of casual act of violence will affect the image".
– MEGAN SPECIA
"One of the newest darkest days in Zeeland
Ms. Ardern called Friday" one of the darkest days in New Zealand ".
" What happened here is an extraordinary and unprecedented act of violence, "said the prime minister at a press conference in New Plymouth, describing the filming as" an act that is absolutely not placed in New Zealand. "
" Many of those affected could be migrants to New Zealand – they might even be refugees here, "said Ms. Ardern of the victims." I am one of us. The person who perpetrated these acts is not. "
" My thoughts, and I'm sure the thoughts of all New Zealanders, are with those affected and their families, "the prime minister added.
– CHARLOTTE GRAHAM McLAY
"My real friend goes there"
Aman Singh, who works in a convenience store near the Deans Avenue mosque, said he heard the gunfire Friday afternoon and shortly after he passed by the shop, bleeding and in tears.
Mr Singh, 26, said he knew several people who loved the mosque.
"My true friend goes there," he said, adding that he had not been able to confirm his stay of his friend Friday afternoon.
Singh, who moved to New Zealand from India four and a half years ago, was still hiding in the store with his wife, since the police had not yet reached their position.
He said it would be unlikely he would be able to return and at home anyway, since their road was isolated because it was close to the Linwood Mosque, which was also attacked.
– CHARLOTTE GRAHAM-McLAY
Lawmaker warns against "instinctive response"
Trevor Mallard, a parliamentary Labor party and house speaker, said he was evacuated from Canterbury University, where he has been with several other legislators to participate in a student protest on climate change which is part of a global movement.
Mr. Mallard described the shootings as "absolutely horrible and unjust" and urged New Zealanders to "any kind of instinctive response".
"Security is under constant scrutiny, and this will be taken into consideration," he said, although he added that he did not expect "massive long-term changes" to the security of Parliament.
– CHARLOTTE GRAHAM-McLAY
Murders are rare in New Zealand, but the weapons are not
Murders are rare in New Zealand and the murders are fired even more rarely. There were 35 homicides across the country in 2017. And since 2007, gun murders have been in individual figures every year except 2009, when there were 11.
But there are a lot of weapons.
C & # 39; were 1.2 million firearms recorded in the country of 4.6 million people in 2017, according to the Small Arms Survey, a Swiss non-profit.
A mass shooting in New Zealand in 1990 – when a man killed 13 people, including two 6-year-olds, after a dispute with his neighbor in the seaside town of Aramoana – led directly to the strict arms laws, including restrictions on "semi-automatic military weapons".
Weapon owners must be authorized, a process that includes a review of criminal activity and mental health, participation in a security program, an explanation of how the gun would be used, a residency visit to ensure safe storage and testimonials from relatives and friends.
– DANIEL VICTOR
Bangladeshi cricketers flee mosque und er siege
One of the members of the Bangladesh national cricket team, who said he and other teammates had fled from the mosque at the start of the shoot, tweeted about his escape.
The cricket player, Mushfiqur Rahim, thanked God for his safety and wrote: "We are extremely fortunate … I never want to see these things happen again … pray for us."
The team subsequently confirmed on their Twitter account that all members of the national team were safe, adding that "The Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) is in constant contact with the players and the management of the team."