A pandemic in the coronavirus novel has now killed over 509,000 people worldwide.
Over 10.4 million people worldwide have been diagnosed with COVID-19, the disease caused by the new respiratory virus, according to data collected by the Center for Systems Science and Engineering at Johns Hopkins University. Current numbers are believed to be much higher due to lack of testing, many unreported cases and suspicions that some governments hide the extent of their nation’s outbreaks.
Since the first cases were detected in China in December, the United States has become the most affected country, with over 2.6 million cases diagnosed and at least 129,545 deaths.
Here’s how the news is developing today. All Eastern times. Please refresh this page for updates
10:35 am: New Jersey asks travelers from 16 states to self-quarantine
The New Jersey Department of Health is asking travelers from 16 states with a high coronavirus number to self-quarantine on their return to Garden State.
As of Monday, the states listed are: Alabama, Arkansas, Arizona, California, Florida, Georgia, Iowa, Idaho, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, Nevada, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas and Utah.
New Jersey is asking people to self-quarantine for two weeks, with the exception of seeking medical attention and obtaining food and other essential items.
10: Maw, others warn of “a huge burden” on the healthcare system in the fall
In a hearing in the Senate on Tuesday, dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute for Allergy and Infectious Diseases, and other senior health officials are expected to warn of a “huge burden” that the US health system will face this fall if seasonal flu and COVID-19 are circulating together.
“While it is unclear how long the pandemic will last, COVID-19 activity will likely continue for some time,” says the prepared note. “It is also not clear what impact the current COVID-19 pandemic will have on health care and public health systems during the next flu season. If there are COVID-19 and flu activity at the same time, this could result in a huge burden on healthcare system related to bed occupancy, laboratory testing needs, personal protective equipment and health worker safety. ”
However, officials should stick to their suggestion to leave the decision to open schools to each community.
9:38: no social distance, optional masks at the Mount Rushmore event with Trump
South Dakota will not enforce social distances at the July 4 celebration in Mount Rushmore with Republican President Donald Trump, Republican governor Kristi Noem, told Fox News Monday evening.
“We have told those people who are afraid to stay home. But those who want to join us, we will give free masks if they choose to wear one,” said Noem in an Fox News interview with Laura Ingraham. “We will not be distancing ourselves from the social, we ask them to come, be ready to celebrate the freedoms and freedoms that we have in this country”.
Noem added that he told residents to focus on “personal responsibility” and that everyone should make a “comfortable” decision.
The event will take place on July 3rd.
8:57: Brooklyn star Nets DeAndre Jordan tests positive for COVID-19
Brooklyn center Nets DeAndre Jordan announced Monday that it had tested positive for the new coronavirus.
Due to the diagnosis, Jordan said he won’t join his team to restart the NBA season in Orlando next month.
8:06: Over 100 single bar related cases in Michigan
At least 107 new cases of COVID-19 have been linked to a bar in East Lansing, Michigan, officials said.
The Ingham County Health Department is asking anyone who went to Harper’s Restaurant & Brew Pub between June 12 and June 20 to quarantine for 14 days from their visit and check for symptoms.
Infected individuals are aged between 16 and 28 and so far no one has been hospitalized. Most cases had mild symptoms, with 28 people experiencing no symptoms. At least 40% are Michigan State University students or recent graduates, officials said.
Only 12 of the cases come from secondary broadcasts, which means that people who were in contact with a primary case but didn’t go to the bar, officials said.
In a statement published on Facebook last week, Harper’s Restaurant & Brew Pub announced that it had decided to temporarily close to implement a program to eliminate lines and install air purification technology. The order reopened capacity to 50% on June 8 according to the governor’s executive order.
“We have experienced long lines on the public sidewalk in front of our building,” the company wrote in the June 22 post. “We attempted to educate customers who waited in line to put on their facings and practice social withdrawal through the signs on the public sidewalk and with a banner on our railing. Our supervision of the line on our stairs was successful but trying to get customers to follow our advice on the public sidewalk was challenging. ”
The growing group of cases has prompted Ingham County officials to issue an emergency order that reduces the restaurant’s capacity to 50% or no more than 75 people, whichever is less. The restaurant capacity was already limited to 50% of normal seats, but there was no limitation on the number of customers.
“Large crowds are difficult to control,” Ingham County health agent Linda Vail said in a statement Monday evening. “By allowing no more than 75 people, restaurants and bars will be able to impose social distancing and the use of face masks and facings. I strongly encourage all bars and restaurants to strictly apply security measures and to do all the possible to help stop the spread of coronavirus in our community. ”
7:25: “By the time we opened, it was like COVID didn’t exist,” says the mayor of Miami
Ever since Miami started reopening in late May, Mayor Francis Suarez has claimed to have seen people behave as if the coronavirus pandemic had never happened.
“The moment we opened, it was like COVID didn’t exist and people forgot about it and, in some cases, forgot it again,” Suarez told ABC News anchor head George Stephanopoulos in an interview Tuesday. ” Good Morning America. ”
“You know, the city of Miami was actually the last city in the entire state of Florida to open,” he added. “I was criticized at the time for taking too long, some said.”
Miami is now the city hardest hit by the Florida coronavirus outbreak, as cases increase through Sunshine State. The mayor said his office is doing everything possible to control the spread of the virus.
“People are gathering, having fun, partying and spreading the disease incredibly efficiently, and are starting to stress our hospital system,” said Suarez.
Miami and a handful of other cities in Miami-Dade County have now made it mandatory for people to wear masks in public at all times, which Suarez has called “child’s play”. Miami has also applied fines for those who don’t follow the rule. In the meantime, companies that do not comply with coronavirus protocols will be closed for 10 days on the first occurrence, 15 days on the second occurrence and 30 days on the third occurrence.
“They are shocked that we are implementing some of these rules, but we are trying to do it surgically so that we don’t have to undo some of the openings we have made,” said Suarez. “We are also doing this so that we do not have to re-implement a residence order at home, which was extremely effective in March and early April but paralyzed our economy.”
What to know about coronavirus:
6:28: Arizona hospitals are on the verge
Hospitals in Arizona are reaching capacity amid a wave of coronavirus cases, according to an internal note from the Federal Emergency Management Agency.
The memo, obtained from ABC News, states that both the Flagstaff Medical Center and the Little Colorado Medical Center have had no “medical overvoltage availability” since June 24. Patients are referred to hospitals in Yavapai and Maricopa counties, according to the memo.
Arizona’s coronavirus-related hospitalizations have nearly doubled in the past two weeks, while intensive care units have an 88% capacity.
The number of COVID-19 cases in Arizona went from 13,000 on May 15 to 74,500 on Monday, while the death toll across the state has almost doubled in the past six weeks. More than 1,500 people in the state of the Grand Canyon have died from COVID-19.
5:24: Australia will restore the blockade in the suburbs of Melbourne
Australian officials will reset the blocking restrictions on a number of suburbs around Melbourne, while the country’s second largest city faces a spike in coronavirus infections.
As of 11:59 pm Wednesday local time, a residence order will take effect in 10 postal codes in the Melbourne area that have been identified as community broadcast hot spots for the new coronavirus. The blockade will remain in effect until at least July 29, according to a statement Tuesday by Daniel Andrews, premier of the southeastern Australian state of Victoria.
“I know this is going to be terribly disruptive and difficult, but if everyone respects the rules and we see that transmission decreases, then restrictions can increase in four weeks,” Andrews said.
Residents of the affected postal codes will be allowed to leave their homes only to shop for food and supplies, to seek and provide assistance, to exercise, to study or to go to work – if they cannot do so from home. Commercial activities and facilities in those newly reopened areas, including beauty salons, gyms, libraries and swimming pools, will again be limited. Cafes and restaurants will only be open for takeaway and delivery again, Andrews said.
“Very clearly, this is not where we wanted to be,” he added. “I understand that people are tired. We are all frustrated. We just want things to go back to what they once were. And the sooner we all do the right thing, the sooner we can beat him.”
Just under 8,000 people in Australia have been diagnosed with COVID-19 and at least 104 of them have died, according to a count held by Johns Hopkins University.
4:42: Who will send a team to China to investigate the origin of COVID-19
The World Health Organization is sending a team to China to investigate the origins of the new coronavirus.
“We can better fight the virus when we know all about the virus, including how it started,” said WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus during Monday’s Geneva press briefing.
The very first cases of COVID-19 were identified in the Chinese city of Wuhan last December, months before the rapidly spreading epidemic was declared a pandemic.
Tedros said the investigation team will travel there next week.
“Hopefully this will lead to understanding how the virus started and what we can do for the future,” he added.
3:32: the United States reports more than 41,500 new cases
More than 41,500 new cases of COVID-19 were identified in the United States on Monday, according to a count held by Johns Hopkins University.
The latest daily workload increased from the previous day, but is still below the country’s record high of over 45,000 new cases identified on Friday.
The national total currently stands at 2,590,582 cases diagnosed with at least 126,141 deaths.
Cases include people from all 50 states in the United States, Washington, DC and other U.S. territories, as well as returnees.
By May 20, all states had begun to lift residence orders and other restrictions put in place to curb the spread of the new coronavirus. The daily increase in cases therefore remained dormant at around 20,000 for a couple of weeks before recovering to over 30,000 and then crossing 40,000 last week.
Nearly half of all 50 states have seen an increase in infections in recent weeks, with some – such as Florida, South Carolina and Georgia – reporting daily data.
ABC News’ Anne Flaherty, Josh Margolin, Allison Pecorin and Ben Siegel contributed to this report.