ATHENS – Kirby Smart doesn’t believe alternative kits help a team play better.
Indeed, the Georgia manager believes they can be a distraction.
“I don’t dress completely” the uniform will make them play faster, “Smart said on his weekly radio show.” If anything, you worry about distraction the day you wear them.
“We tried to take all of that away with the release, let them know it’s not a big deal that they’ll be wearing a different colored uniform,” said Smart. “The more they think about it, the less they can think about their opponent and what they have to do to play well.”
Smart, who wore an alternate uniform of a red jersey and black pants during his playing career with the Bulldogs, admitted he likes the red pants Georgia will wear at 4pm. Saturday in Arkansas (TV: SEC Network) in both teams’ season opener.
“I like wide white (stripe) over red, it’s a little pop,” said Smart. “I know the players are thrilled with them.
“I am happy that they have the opportunity to remember and recognize the team that did so well (by winning) the 1980 national championship,” he said. “I always thought they were classic and edgy.”
The Bulldogs wore red pants with a white jersey to open the 1980 season with a win in Tennessee. The team jersey will have a patch that resembles the 1980 national championship team.
Georgia also has an alternative black jersey, but Smart has yet to let anyone know when his Bulldogs will wear them. Some suggested the Auburn game on October 3 but no announcements were announced.
Here’s a look at the five most important storylines that led up to today’s Georgia soccer game against Arkansas:
1) Goodwill planned by D’Wan Mathis
• Flashback to the latest game from D’Wan high school
• D’Wan ‘The Miracle’ Mathis, a comeback like no other
• WATCH: D’Wan Mathis throws darts during Georgia soccer practice
2) Georgia ready to debut a new crime
• Georgia’s offensive kaleidoscope appears to have changed
• Zamir White is thrilled to be “The Guy” in Arkansas
• George Pickens shares the secret of Sugar Bowl success
3) Bulldog Defense ready for the first test
• Arkansas tail plans a “smash mouth” attack
• The defense of Georgia is ready for the first test in Arkansas
• Nakobe Dean sets the tone for the UGA defense
4) Smart open on transfer philosophy
• Smart supports transfers, explains SEC rules
• Otis Reese calls Kirby Smart during the transfer
5) Sam Pittman takes on his old team
• Pittman starts with cookies, charisma and catfish
• Pittman wants Hogs to “run through a brick wall”
• UGA linemen tell how Pittman shaped careers
• Recruiting Tale of the Tape with Sam Pittman