Home / Entertainment / Meghan Markle loses the final round in the court battle with Associated Newspapers

Meghan Markle loses the final round in the court battle with Associated Newspapers



LOS ANGELES – Meghan Markle, the Duchess of Sussex, has lost the last round of her ongoing legal battle with UK’s Associated Newspapers Limited (ANL), editor of the Daily Mail and Mail on Sunday.

Markle is suing the group for privacy and copyright infringement after the Mail on Sunday published excerpts from a 2018 letter Markle sent to her father Thomas Markle Sr. ANL denies her claims.

Last week, ANL applied to the court to amend its defense and use the recently published book “Finding Freedom,” by US journalists Omid Scobie and Carolyn Durand, claiming that Markle had passed on information to the authors.

Markle̵

7;s attorney, Justin Rushbrooke, argued, “The actor and her husband did not collaborate with the authors of the book, nor were they interviewed, or provided photographs to the authors of the book,” and suggested that the book draw on material published by ANL and other public domain sources.

On Tuesday, Judge Francesca Kaye allowed the ANL defense to use the book and refused Markle’s permission to appeal the ruling. Markle’s lawyers have the option to take Kaye’s decision to the Court of Appeals. Kaye said Scobie had denied in a court statement that there was any cooperation from Markle on the book.

“It could be what he doesn’t say rather than what he says that could prove significant at the trial,” Kaye said, referring to Scobie’s statement. “If, as suggested, it’s all a house of cards, it will quickly fall to the trial.”

The case is expected to be tried in January 2021.

Markle and her husband, Prince Harry, continue to stay in the news. On Monday, the couple’s spokesperson denied a report in British tabloid The Sun that suggested they would be participating in a “fly-on-the-wall” reality show.


Source link