The search for seven missing Marines and a Navy sailor who disappeared during a training off the coast of California last week has ended, Marine Corps officials announced last Sunday.
All eight missing members of the service are assumed to have died after a 40-hour search failed, a note published on Twitter by the I Marine Expeditionary Force said.
“It is with a heavy heart that I have decided to end the search and rescue efforts,” said Colonel Christopher Bronzi, commanding officer of the 15th shipping unit. “The constant dedication of the marines, sailors and coastguards to the persistent rescue effort has been extraordinary.”
The accident occurred Thursday off the island of San Clemente, where 1
UNITED STATES MARINE BODY BASE IN OKINAWA REPORTS CORONAVIRUS INFECTIONS
At some point, the vehicle started to take on water. Eight of the 16 service members were initially rescued while eight disappeared.
Of the rescued Marines, one died later and two were hospitalized in critical condition, according to Marine Corp.
The circumstances surrounding the accident are under investigation.
At Camp Pendleton in San Diego, Marine Corps commander David Berger ordered an immediate suspension of amphibious assault vehicles (AAVs) from training at sea.
CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP
Missing marine and sailor names will be released 24 hours after family members are notified, says the Marine Corps statement.