SEOUL (Reuters) – North Korea is considering suspending nuclear talks with the United States and its leader could rethink the ban on missile tests, according to a senior official.
PHOTO FILES: Hyon Song Wol, head of the North Korean art company Samjiyon, takes a picture of Deputy Foreign Minister Choe Son-Hui (C) ahead of the welcome ceremony of North Korean leader Kim Jong Un (not shown) at the Presidential Palace in Hanoi, Vietnam, March 1, 2019. Luong Thai Linh / Pool via REUTERS
After the failure of US President Donald Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, the North's main nuclear envoy declared his leadership took into consideration the hypothesis of interrupting the denuclearization talks, said the Russian news agency TASS.
"We have no intention of giving in to the demands of the United States (at the Hanoi summit) in any form, nor are we willing to engage in negotiations of this kind", said the North Korean agency Deputy Foreign Minister Choe Son Hui. .
Kim is ready to make an official announcement soon about his stance on talks with the United States and further Northern action, he added, citing Choe, who was facing a press conference in the North Korean capital.
Choe also said that Washington threw away a golden opportunity at the summit and warned that Kim could rethink a moratorium on missile launches, added the Associated Press .
The comments contrast with the optimism shown by an American negotiator this week, despite the collapse of last month's talks in the Vietnamese capital of Hanoi.
That meeting crumbled due to disagreements over US requests in Pyongyang to nuclear-power and to North Korea's request for dramatic relief from international sanctions imposed for its nuclear and missile tests.
Choe had said after talks in Hanoi that Kim would lose his commitment to pursue an agreement with the United States after seeing a request rejected to revoke sanctions in exchange for the North by destroying its main known nuclear complex.
In Washington this week, US Special Representative for North Korea, Stephen Biegun, said the United States should be able to continue its strict commitment, even if it did not offer any details on when could hold new talks.
"Diplomacy is still very much alive", said Biegun on Monday, but stopped saying if there had been any talks since the summit.
In Beijing, Premier Li Keqiang urged patience and greater dialogue between North Korea and the United States.
"It can be said that the peninsula's problem is complicated and long-standing, and cannot be solved overnight," Li said an annual conference on Friday, although his remarks were not made in response to TASS report.
Reporting by Joyce Lee; Written by Jack Kim; Edited by Darren Schuettler and Clarence Fernandez