قالب وردپرس درنا توس
Home / World / Pompeo presses Saudis for accountability on Khashoggi murder | USA News

Pompeo presses Saudis for accountability on Khashoggi murder | USA News



US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo told the king and the Crown Prince of Saudi Arabia that "every single person responsible" for the murder of Saudi writer Jamal Khashoggi must be held responsible.

King Salman and hereditary prince Mohammed bin Salman, known as MBS, "both acknowledge that this responsibility must take place," Pompey said in Riyadh after talks with the two men on Monday 1965-9002. "They reaffirmed their commitment to reach the goal, the expectations we had set ourselves "Pompeo added.

The secretary of state told reporters that he had also raised a number of human rights issues with the king and the crown prince, including women's rights activists who have been detained for months and some allegedly tortured.

Khashoggi, a long-standing member of the king who had become a crown prince's critic, was killed in October in the consulate of the kingdom of Istanbul, causing a global protest that included Treasury sanctions on 1

7 individuals and a resolution to blame the prince Mohammed

The President of the United States Donald Trump and Pompey, however, have so far been reluctant to directly involve the real or to issue punitive measures.

At CIA the assessment blamed Prince Mohammed for ordering the murder, which Saudi officials deny

. At least 21 Saudis were arrested in the case, with five facing the death penalty. Five officers were also fired, including a senior royal advisor.

The uproar in Khashoggi's murder has severely strained ties with Western allies and focused attention on the internal repression of Saudi Arabia over dissent and the nearly four-year war in Yemen. [19659004DuringThreeControlledon80minutesPoliceDevelopmentwiththeUnitedRepresentationPolicyDraggedThreeDiscoveredAccordingtoDiscovery

"Their commitment was that the legal judicial process would take place and they would do it quickly, and that they would continue on that path," he told reporters.

"Need to loosen"

In Yemen, Pompey and Prince Mohammed agreed on the need to continue loosening and accession to the agreements reached last month in talks in Sweden to end the war between the government supported by the Saudis and the Houthi aligned to Iran.

"We talked about the fact that the work done in Sweden on Yemen was good, but we need both sides to honor those commitments, so far, the Houthi supported by Iran have chosen not to do it," he said .

Pompey, whose first stops included Cairo, Abu Dhabi and Doha, will interrupt the rest of his trip to the Middle East to attend a family funeral A State Department spokesperson said he will return home after the meetings in Oman instead of traveling to Kuwait.

Pompey will visit Oman, but will interrupt his tour and will miss a scheduled visit to Kuwait due to a death to his family, said the US State Department, adding that he will visit the country "in a pleasant moment ".

His tour comes amid the conflicts raging in Syria and Yemen, while the United States is trying to secure a unified front against Iran, which accuses it of expanding its political and military footprint in the Middle East.

WATCH: US Secretary of State calls on Gulf States to end the dispute (2:35)


Source link