The Duke and Duchess of Sussex made a $ 130,000 donation to an African girls education charity to celebrate their recent birthdays, it was revealed.
Prince Harry, 36, and Meghan Markle, 39, promised the money to CAMFED, which supports girls’ education across the continent, and said “there’s no better way to celebrate what really matters” .
The couple made the donation yesterday after fans, who go by the name of Sussex Squad, launched a fundraiser in honor of Harry and Meghan’s birthdays on September 15 and August 4, respectively.
The campaign raised $ 129,000, and Harry and Meghan responded by matching the donations with their $ 1
Charitable donations are tax deductible in both the United States and the United Kingdom. CAMFED is registered in both countries.
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex made a $ 130,000 donation to a girls’ education charity on their recent birthdays, it was revealed. In the photo, the couple in Cape Town last year
In a tweeted message from the charity (pictured) the couple said: ‘There’s no better way to celebrate what really matters. Thanks to everyone who donated, Harry and Meghan ‘
The couple have a long-standing relationship with CAMFED, which is a partner of the Queen’s Commonwealth Trust. Harry and Meghan are president and vice president of the Queen’s Commonwealth Trust and have been allowed to hold their positions after retiring from official royal duties this year.
Prince Harry visited a CAMFED project in Zambia in 2018 and made a separate visit to the organization during his solo visit to Malawi on the Sussex African tour in 2019.
The Duchess of Sussex met with one of CAMFED’s regional leaders at a Women’s Day event in London in 2019.
The money raised by the Sussex Squad Birthday Fundraiser 2020 will fund higher education scholarships for young women across Africa.
In a tweeted statement from the charity, the Sussexes said: ‘There’s no better way to celebrate what really matters. Thanks to everyone who donated, Harry and Meghan ‘.
The couple, who recently signed a $ 150 million deal with Netflix, supported two charities to celebrate their son Archie Mountbatten-Windsor’s birthday in May.
Meghan and Archie appeared in a video promoting a Save The Children literacy program and the Duchess later revealed that she sponsored a kennel at the Mayhew animal charity, of which she is a patron, on behalf of her son.
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex privately celebrated Harry’s birthday yesterday at their $ 14 million home in Santa Barbara.
The couple have a long-standing relationship with CAMFED. Prince Harry visited one of the charity projects in Zambia in 2018 (pictured) and paid a separate visit to the organization during his solo visit to Malawi on the Sussex African tour in 2019
The royal family celebrated the occasion by sharing good wishes on Instagram and Twitter, with the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, Prince Charles and the Queen all posted in honor of Harry’s birthday.
However, royal fans were outraged that Meghan hadn’t appeared in any of the four photographs released to celebrate the occasion.
In response to William and Kate’s photo, which shows Cambridges and Prince Harry in a 2017 foot race, one fan remarked: ‘There must have been hundreds of photos that you could have chosen, but you chose to post one of Harry, William and Kate. I’m sure not including Meghan wasn’t unintentional. “
Another fan post on the Cambridges account said it was “shady” not to include the Duchess of Sussex when there are pictures of the “fab four” together. Another simply said, “Interesting selection of photos … No Meghan.”
However, some have pointed out that it is common for members of the royal family not to include husbands and wives in their birthday photos, as did the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge for Princess Anne’s recent 70th anniversary.
The Duchess of Sussex with Camfed Regional Director Angeline Murimirwa (right), model Adwoa Aboah, former Australian Prime Minister Julia Gillard and journalist Anne McElvoy at a Women’s Day event in London in March 2019
It comes after the tension in relations between Prince William, 38, and Harry, who were once inseparable, was laid bare in the biography of the Duke and Duchess of Sussexes Finding Freedom.
Co-author Omid Scobie later claimed the brothers went two months without speaking after the Sussex Megxit bomb was announced.
The Duke of Sussex certainly has a lot to celebrate this year: his first birthday since he and Meghan left the royal family and moved to California.
The couple recently signed a $ 150 million deal with US media giant Netflix and repaid the £ 2.4 million they spent to refurbish Frogmore Cottage, their former home on Queen Windsor’s estate, further away from the royal family. .
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex also recently stepped up their public and virtual appearances as Covid-19 restrictions ease, with Prince Harry last week sending out a video of support to soldiers taking part in a charity trip. Over the weekend Meghan took part in a video call with customers of her UK sponsored Smart Works.
And according to royal experts, the Duke is “happier than ever” as he celebrates his 36th birthday and “doesn’t miss his old life.”
Omid Scobie, co-author of the controversial royal biography Finding Freedom, which raised eyebrows at his praise and deep knowledge of Sussex, the prince is “very satisfied” with his marriage and family and “thrives” in his professional life.
He told Vanity Fair: ‘This is the time [Harry] he can sit down and think, “I did it”. ‘