Has a name: the highly anticipated Walt Disney (DIS) – the over-the-top streaming platform is officially "Disney Plus" (or maybe Disney +), according to CEO Bob Iger on earnings call late Thursday. He also outlined the entertainment giant's plans to push further into the consumer-directed streaming space.
Disney's earnings and revenue beat fourth quarter fiscal estimates, boosting Disney shares. Here are some highlights of the announcement and the quarterly report:
Highlights from Disney Earnings Call
- The Disney + platform, which will start at the end of 2019, will host a series of Tom Hiddleston live with Loki, as well as a Diego Luna – played by "Star Wars: Rogue One" spinoff.
- As previously announced, Disney + will also present "Star Wars" and "Monsters, Inc." brand new. series, in addition to a "robust" pipeline of original films for the service.
- More than a million users have subscribed to the ESPN + sports streaming service, launched only in April. This is a good omen for the general consumer strategy directed by Disney, said Iger.
- Hulu is a big question mark for Wall Street. Disney will own 60% of the streaming platform after completing the acquisition of 21st Century Fox's entertainment activities (FOXA). Iger says that, given the success of secondary growth and brand strength, there is an opportunity to increase investment in Hulu, especially on the programming side.
- Iger aims to use that TV production capability to power Hulu with "much more" original programming to enable him to compete more aggressively on the market. He also noted the potential to increase Hulu's monthly prices.
- The lands of the new "Star Wars" theme parks will be the "greatest lands we have ever built", both physically and in the field. It foresees "huge increases in demand". Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge opens the 2019 summer in Disneyland, California and late fall at Disney World in Florida.
Estimates : Disney earnings increased 22% to $ 1.31 per share with an 8% growth in revenues to $ 13.81 billion, according to Zacks Investment Research .
Results : Q4 Disney earnings per share increased 38% to $ 1.48 billion, up 12% to $ 14.31 billion, exceeding the top and bottom estimates. The growth of Disney revenues has slowly accelerated in the last four quarters.
The key segment of multimedia networks, including ESPN, recorded a gain of 9% to $ 5.96 billion. Even Disney theme parks and studio segments have achieved good results, with 9% theme park revenue at $ 5.07 billion and 50% studio revenue, no doubt reinforced by "Ant-Man and the Wasp "of Marvel and" Incredibles 2 "by Pixar. "
Revenues from Disney interactive consumer products and interactive media decreased by 8%
" We remain focused on completing and successfully integrating our 21st Century Fox acquisition and 39, further development of our direct-to-consumer business, including the highly anticipated launch of our Disney-branded streaming service at the end of next year, "Iger said in a press release.
Disney Stock  Disney shares rose 2% to 118.27 in late trading after closing 0.9% to exactly 116 in stock market trading on Thursday.The after-hours action suggests that the Disney title will try to cancel 118 outlets from a cup-shaped base The Actions briefly canceled that entry a couple of times during a volatile October.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE:
After Hours: These 5 Actions are Mover Notable on Earnings; Fu tures
Why you should buy in the stock market Follow-Through Day
Midterms Lift Marijuana Stocks; Benefits of "fundamental push" These companies