In The Last of Us Part II, guitars are used as a symbolic tool to show the bond between Joel and Ellie, with several songs popping up in scenes. The guitars also appear as reproducible objects and it is possible for experienced musicians to recreate songs with Ellie’s in-game guitar. But one thing has remained unclear: how is Joel able to perform a song in the game that would never have been released in his world due to the outbreak?
In an opening scene, Joel performs a cover of Pearl Jam’s Future Days, which appeared on the album Lightning Bolt. This album was released on October 15, 2013, several weeks after September 26, 2013, which is Outbreak Day in the world of The Last of Us Part II. So how did Joel get to know a song that was never released?
According to director Neil Druckmann, it̵
This makes sense, but it’s a pity that Joel’s canonical background in this song doesn’t involve him going to the concert himself. Indeed, getting the song into the game was a bit of a difficult task and Druckmann almost flew to Seattle to meet Eddie Vedder.
Joel’s performance of this song can actually be traced further to a Last of Us performance by voice actors Troy Baker and Ashley Johnson, which included an epilogue to the game in which Joel started teaching Ellie how to play the guitar. This scene eventually made its way into the sequel.
Unlike the original game, The Last of Us Part II won’t get the story DLC, even if a standalone multiplayer mode is coming.
- The Last Of Us 2’s obsession with a Gotcha player weakens his characters
- Last Of Us 2 sells 4 million in the first three days, setting a new franchise record
- The Last Of Us 2 Solution 9: Santa Barbara (all collectibles, no spoilers)
- The Last Of Us 2 Solution 8: Seattle Day 3 (all collectibles, no spoilers)
- The Last Of Us 2 Collectible Guides – Where to find everything in the game
- The Last Of Us 2 Walkthrough, Guides And Tips For Beginners (Without Spoiler)
- The Last Of Us 2 Solution 7: Seattle Day 2 (all collectibles, without spoilers)
- The Last Of Us 2 Solution 6: The Park, Seattle Day 1 (all collectibles, no spoilers)
- The Last Of Us 2 Solution 5: Seattle Day 3 (all collectibles, no spoilers)
- The Last Of Us 2 Solution 4: Seattle Day 2 (all collectibles, no spoilers)
GameSpot could get a commission from retail offers.