Home / US / Trump and Biden will participate in competing town halls on Thursday night after the second debate is canceled

Trump and Biden will participate in competing town halls on Thursday night after the second debate is canceled



The event, scheduled for 8 p.m. ET in Miami, will compete with an ABC City Hall with Democratic presidential candidate Joe Biden. Trump and Biden were originally scheduled to participate in the second presidential debate Thursday night, but the event was ultimately canceled after Trump opposed the virtual format announced by the Commission on Presidential Debates in light of Trump’s positive coronavirus diagnosis.

“The event will be held outdoors and in accordance with guidelines set by health officials, also in compliance with all government regulations,” Hoda Kotb told NBC’s “Today”

; program Wednesday.

National Institutes of Health Clinical Director Clifford Lane said in a statement to NBC News that he concluded, by analyzing the PCR test, “with a high degree of confidence” that Trump “is not spreading infectious viruses.”

The event will be moderated by Savannah Guthrie, who will sit 12 feet from the president. Participants must wear face masks.

Trump’s decision last week to withdraw from the second debate led Biden and ABC to quickly announce their plans to hold a city hall, and shortly thereafter, Trump’s team began talks with NBC about a similar event on the condition that Trump tested negative for coronavirus.
Trump is down in all national polls and is behind or on par with Biden in key swing states, and he most needs a national platform where he can present his cause to voters with less than three weeks to go. of the elections.

Source link