Home / Technology / watchOS 7: how to use optimized battery charging on Apple Watch

watchOS 7: how to use optimized battery charging on Apple Watch



With the release of watchOS 7, Apple has added a Battery Health feature to Apple Watch similar to that found on iPhones and iPads running iOS 11.3 and later.


Basically, Battery Health provides information about the battery status of the device and includes an option called “Optimized Battery Charge”, designed to extend the total battery life of your Apple Watch.

When enabled, Optimized Battery Charging learns from your device’s personal habits and waits to finish charging until you need your Apple Watch.

For example, if you regularly charge your watch at night while you sleep, your device may choose to limit its charge to 80%, then wait about an hour before waking up to charge the remaining 20%.

This keeps the watch at an optimal capacity for battery health by reducing the time it stays on the charger at 100% charge, which can reduce its life over time.

Optimized battery charging is enabled by default on an Apple Watch running watchOS 7. If you need to fully charge your Apple Watch earlier than normal and want to disable optimized battery charging, follow these simple steps.

  1. press the Digital crown on your Apple Watch to open App View.
  2. Select the settings app.
  3. Scroll down and select Battery.
    settings
  4. Scroll down and select Battery health.
  5. Tap the slider next to Optimized battery charging to bring it to the gray OFF position.
  6. Tap Switch off or Turn off until tomorrow.
    settings

To re-enable optimized battery charging on your Apple Watch at any time, simply repeat the above steps and flip the switch to the green ON position.

Checking the health of the Apple Watch battery

Note that the Battery Status screen contains useful additional information about the Apple Watch’s battery status, which you can use to decide if it needs to be replaced.

settings

Apple Watch Series 4 used daily since launch

The “Maximum Capacity” percentage provides a measure of the battery capacity compared to when the battery was brand new. If the percentage of maximum capacity drops, you will likely get less use of your Apple Watch between charges. In other words, it’s an indicator of overall battery performance and is directly related to how long your watch lasts on a single charge.


Source link