Nearly 570 students have withdrawn from the University of Colorado Boulder since the beginning of the fall semester – double the number that left last year – amid rising COVID-19 cases, a rapidly changing learning environment and quarantine orders.
Between August 24 and Thursday, 392 continuing students and 177 first-year students withdrew from CU Boulder. During the same time period in 2019, 172 continuing students and 113 first-year students withdrew, said Melanie Parra, a campus spokesperson.
At the beginning of the semester, 6,931
University officials on Friday said they still don’t know how much of a financial toll the withdrawals will take from the campus, which has already seen a budget of $ 66 million this year compared to last, largely due to COVID-19. Lower-than-expected student enrollment this fall forced steeper budget cuts across campus.
Freshman enrollment in CU Boulder dropped 12.3 percent from last year, from 7,113 students to 6,235, according to a September CU budget presentation.
Read on in The Denver Post